YouTube: Quick Guide to GREC Compliance of Internet Advertising Rules
Written by: Matthew Chan, Qualifying Broker, School Director (Intrepid Real Estate Education)
Last updated: 12/3/2022
In general, follow these rules for all videos with your real estate YouTube Channel:
- Do not make misleading videos.
- Do not make discriminatory videos.
- Display your full name as it appears on your license & firm name on your Channel’s About tab AND Description area of each video.
Good business practice (but not required):
- Display your website address which has your full name, firm name, and contact information of your firm.
- Display your GREC license number on your channel’s About tab AND Description area of each video in your Channel.
In all real estate-specific advertising videos (for sale, for rent, for lease), you should:
- Have written permission from the owner of the property to create, produce, display and disseminate the video.
- Have your broker review and approve your video.
- Display the name of your firm & your firm’s telephone number in the YouTube video description area. The text in this section is automatically the same font size.
- If you are going to include/embed your name & phone number within the video itself, you must also include the name of your firm and phone number. The rules regarding text size, prominence, and frequency generally apply. (Your name & contact info cannot be larger, superior, or more frequent than your firm’s name & phone number within the video.)
- In addition, (but not required) include the website address to your firm’s or your website which has your firm’s contact information.
- Private, Unlist, or Delete all real estate-specific advertising videos within 30 days of outdated information. (You generally will not be able to update, modify, or edit the video once you upload it to YouTube.)
Finally, always check with your broker or firm. They may have additional or different requirements for your videos and your YouTube Channel.